Reporting to Executive Housekeeper/General Manager, you will be supervising the Housekeeping Assistants ensuring they clean to the highest standards and tasks are completed in a timely manner to ensure guests are impressed with the cleanliness and detail in all rooms. It’s a hands on job and you’ll be part of the team responsible for creating a warm and welcoming environment for our guests. The areas responsible will be bedrooms, bathrooms, restaurants and public areas. Our high standards shine through to make our guests stay sensational.
- Setting an example for the rest of the team by being punctual, well groomed and dressed in accordance with James Places’ standards.
- Maintaining control and orchestrating service effectively and confidently.
- Coaching, motivating and leading front of house teams to exceed customer expectations and perform their duties effectively and consistently.
- Recording, monitoring and proactively dealing with employee issues within your department so that, where possible you can rectify the problem by following James Places procedures, ensuring your team are treated consistently.
- Liaising and obtaining up to date information from Reception/Sales with regards to occupancy/customer requests so that you can ensure you have the correct number of staff to meet with business demands and James Places budgets.
- Ensuring tasks are completed efficiently and to correct standards.
- Creating weekly Staff Rota’s within set budgets and wage percentage targets, cancelling staff/replacing staff where required, to ensure that targets and standards are adhered to.
- Managing your staff members to ensure they take their break at appropriate times and utilise correct procedures for recording rest breaks. All staff holiday requests must be authorised by you and passed to the General Manager to ensure they are filed correctly.
- Liaising with the Executive Housekeeper to advertise and recruit for new housekeeping staff, ensuring that the correct process and James Places paperwork is completed when conducting interviews/offering positions.
- Liaising with the General Manager to arrange convenient date/time to arrange inductions for new starters and inform the new starter accordingly.
- Briefing all staff members at the beginning of each shift to ensure all booking requests/special requirements, upgrades and any other relevant information is understood and adhered to. Any alterations to rooms must be communicated effectively to the relevant departments including alterations to guest numbers/allocation/requests.
- Liaising with reception to ensure that your function sheet and daily brief is up to date.
- Setting standards for the team to ensure they know what is required of them and the time scale and standard in which tasks needs to be completed.
- Ensuring all employee issues are monitored and managed proactively in line with Company Policy and Procedure.
- Carrying out a thorough handover with the Night Manager to ensure all cleaning, maintenance and security matters are handed over, with the necessary paperwork completed/logged and signed off. Communicating any specific jobs/issues to the relevant HOD is key.
- Ensuring employees meet with James’ Places expectations and set standards.
- Ensuring all fixtures/machinery/fittings are safe to use within the building; logging any repairs and liaising with General Manager/Maintenance in reporting, and ensuring appropriate work is carried out.
- Liaising with Reception and the Duty Manager with regards to check outs and to report any mis-use within the bedrooms.
- Checking, monitoring and rectifying the cleanliness of the building, in all areas including all public areas/corridors/toilets, bedrooms, outside grounds and car parking areas.
- Ensuring the James’ Places values are adhered to, delegating effectively through the relevant HOD to ensure this is achieved. This includes light bulbs, menus, cleanliness, rubbish/cigarette ends, cushions plumped, tables polished, appropriate music playing & comfortable fire/heating temperature maintained.
- Attending a weekly HOD meeting and any training that you are required to undertake as part of James Places progression.
- Regularly carrying out walk-rounds/checks of all function public areas and outside areas to ensure they are up to James Places standards with regards to cleanliness, safety & presentation.
- Maintaining standards of performance and quality of service required by the Company.
- Respecting the working environment whilst showing flair, personality and enjoyment of your job.
- Adhering to all Company Policies, Procedures at all times.
- Carrying out regular bedroom audits and spot-checks with the relevant feedback passed back to the staff member and management and further actions carried out and documented.
- Regularly reviewing and amending (where required) department procedures as agreed with the Executive Housekeeper/General Manager
- Ensuring that all staff are utilising the resources effectively, safely and respectfully.
- Liaising with the Executive Housekeeper to ensure that regular linen inventories are completed and communicated to the General Manager and sufficient resources/supplies (cleaning products/glassware/linen/machinery) are available at all times to run your department effectively.
Communicating with the General Manager so that specific departments can alter resource requirement and increase/decrease in line with business requirements and spending budgets.
Standards must also be maintained through effective handovers to the duty manager and reception team. Any issue / problems should be communicated and any change to business / staff resources should be explained thoroughly. Any problems that you are able to sort out prior to leaving should have been dealt with.
Health & Safety
- Reviewing Department procedures regularly and amending where required, as agreed with the General Manager.
- Complying and keeping up to date with current Health & Safety Policies and Procedures together with managing the site effectively to maintain understanding and responsibility with current Health & Safety compliance and conduct.
- Completing specific risk assessments where required and ensuring these are passed to the General Manager to file accordingly
- Reporting any Health & Safety issues which arise during your shift and at any Health & Safety meeting.
- Previous experience as a Housekeeping Supervisor/Head Housekeeper.
- Experience of managing a team – ensuring duties are clear, monitoring performance and providing feedback, motivating and leading the team, preparing rotas.
- Has presence and can build relationships at all levels quickly.
- Strong customer orientation and understanding of the concept of service delivery.
- Effective listening skills and ability to coach others.
- Motivated to deliver and maintain a positive outlook in dealing with difficult issues.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, both verbal and written.
- Able to work with a high degree of autonomy and be an effective member of a virtual team.
- Is always discrete and demonstrates high levels of personal integrity and confidentiality.
- Strong project management and personal organizational skills with the ability to balance a number of differing priorities.